Tuesday, September 2, 2014

...And So It Begins...


Happy Tuesday, friends.

The first day back after a long weekend is always so hard (TWSS), so today the struggle is very much real. But today I'm not going to be complaining about how I'd rather be asleep instead of awake, or enjoying relaxing instead of working. No. Today it's all about getting myself back on track with my health and my weight, and today is Day ONE of my 90-day challenge that I told y'all about last week.

As of today, September 2nd, I am starting a 90-day challenge. I would LOVE for you to join me on this adventure and see what you can accomplish in the next three months. These goals don't have to be anything crazy, or they can be as crazy as you'd like - you're the one creating them after all. Your goal could be to go on more walks, lose 10lbs, run 5k, or even just eat healthier. Whatever your goals are, I want you to spend the next 90 days working towards implementing them into your daily routines.

I wanted to try and put together some sort of plan. Justin is doing this 90-day challenge with me, and I also have a few friends who have agreed to do the challenge with me do hold each other accountable and we keep each other updated every day or two via text/e-mail/whatever. This is going to be amazing.

Anyway, here are some of the changes that I'm making over the next 90 days:

  • 99% Clean Eating

  • This one might be a bit of a struggle, but I am absolutely dedicated to getting back on track. I'm putting this as 99% clean eating instead of 100% clean eating, because I will still be allowing ONE cheat meal per week for Justin and I. I honestly find the most success with my weight-loss when I incorporate one cheat meal.

  • No Alcohol

  • This one isn't actually that hard for me. I've successfully done the whole 'no alcohol' thing a few times and it wasn't too bad. The only part that sucks is the whole social aspect of drinking. I'll probably be declining a lot of hangouts with friends - and I'm really just hoping that I still have friends at the end of this challenge. I'm kidding. But seriously - don't bail on me, friends (or Justin).

  • Strength Training Workouts (at home)

  • Right now I don't have access to a gym, and that probably won't be changing until October/November. In the meantime, I know a LOT of fantastic at-home workouts that I can do (and I know they're successful because I did them last year), so I have no reason not to be incorporating them into my life again.
  • Couch 2 5K

  • I did the Couch 2 5k for a while last fall and got up to week 4 or 5 and found that I really loved the program, I just didn't end up sticking with it - oops. But I think this is a good way for me to try and kick-start my body back into running every day (or every other day).
For my workout schedule, I will be following the 'Body for Life' workout guide, and pairing it with the Couch 2 5k program. Since I don't have access to a gym right now like I did last year when I did this program, my workouts will be a little different, but I still want to follow this plan as closely as I can. This is what my schedule will look ideally look like:

WEEK ONE

Monday - Upper Body Strength Training (chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps).
Tuesday - Couch 2 5k.
Wednesday - Lower Body Strength Training (quads, hamstrings, calves, abs).
Thursday - Couch 2 5k.
Friday - Upper Body Strength Training (chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps).
Saturday - Couch 2 5k.
Sunday - die REST.

WEEK TWO

Monday - Lower Body Strength Training (quads, hamstrings, calves, abs).
Tuesday - Couch 2 5k.
Wednesday - Upper Body Strength Training (chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps).
Thursday - Couch 2 5k.
Friday - Lower Body Strength Training (quads, hamstrings, calves, abs).
Saturday - Couch 2 5k.
Sunday - REST.

These are what my two different weeks will look like, and I will just be alternating them back and forth for the entire 90 days.

Now for the food portion of this whole thing. Honestly, I don't know what it's going to look like for the entire month. Right now I'm planning it for about 5 days in advance, solely so that I can buy all the groceries, portion out everything properly, and food prep the things that are possible to prep in advance. This also makes it easier for both myself (and Justin) if we both know what we are each eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

I'll try and post one favourite 'clean' recipe per week to give you guys ideas for food, but for the most part, I'm keeping my food VERY simple.

Typical breakfast:

Faith: oatmeal with 1 tsp natural peanut butter, 1 banana, and handful of blueberries or raspberries (whatever I buy that week)
Justin: shake - skim milk, strawberries, banana, yogurt

Typical lunch:

Faith: leftovers from the night before, OR grilled chicken/turkey cooked (with lots of flavour - I like spices), and raw veggies and hummus
Justin: sandwich or pita, apple, and granola bar

Typical dinner:

Last year I was eating an egg/egg white scramble about 5 days per week. This year I'm going to be cooking actual meals every night, so for now I no longer have a 'go to' dinner. Stay tuned for this.

This is all the info I've got for now - but stay tuned. I'll be doing weekly updates (Justin has suggested a weekly vlog.. we'll see). Let me know if you're joining us in this challenge. It's time to make a change, folks. I can help to hold you accountable!

10 comments:

Jay T said...

I LOVE YOUR PLAN. And I think I'll join in on the "no soda" thing. That part I could do. I mean, I don't drink that much now but I'll quit it cold turkey for you, ok? I'm proud of you for getting back on track!! You're going to rock this and fyi you are a major inspiration and stuff. That got too sappy. But you know I love you.

Becca said...

Good luck! I find the meal plans pretty motivating!

Britt said...

Yay! I started today, too!
My plan is to continue to eat a vegan diet, to continue not drinking soda, to participate in yoga at least twice per week, and to complete my nike+ program for the 5K I am supposed to be running on October 26. After the run, my diet will still be the same, and I want to continue to run at least twice a week and keep up with yoga.
Looking forward to some progress!

Lindsay Landgraf said...

This is a WONDERFUL plan, you are going to stick to it and kick so much ass. I will join you! And while I'm too much of a wino to cut wine out 100%, I will cut it from my weeknights. WE CAN DO IT.

Ohhhh also I recommend the marinated chicken breast I taught you for a go-to dinner. It's delish. And you could totally bake or saute it, doesn't have to be grilled/BBQed.

Kerri Fortune said...

Love this!! Thank you so much for posting, I have now decided that I want to embark on this 90 day challenge as well. Like you, I currently don't have access to a gym so that gives me extra reasoning to go outdoors and stay active! The meal plan you stated is actually something I can see myself sticking too as well (this is coming from an extremely picky eater). The only thing I can see myself struggling with is the no alcohol portion, I am NOT one to refuse a happy hour with friends so that will be something I need to work on!

Kate Mitchell said...

This is such an awesome plan! I'm kind of doing something similar, just on a different track. I'm trying to lose a little bit of weight (5-10 lbs) and get my muscle strength up to keep my joints from dislocating (because my life is awesome like that). Good luck!

Kristie's Blue Jeans said...

I love this!!! I am getting back into my exercise routines and I am excited! I can't wait to see how good you do.

Kim @ Kimberley's Quests said...

I can't say I've got your motivation but I too was planning to use Sept1 as the start date for my get back on track plan. For me that means, eating healthier, exercising (walk/yoga/zumba) more often and trying not to eat candy!
I like the idea of feeling accountable to someone else. Challenge accepted!

Anonymous said...

Yes to weekly vlogs!! You got this girl!! :D

Him & Me (But Mostly Me) said...

Today was a semi-success for me. Husband leaves tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping that I can get some traction while he's gone and just keep going when he gets back! Good luck to you!